Frequently Asked Questions

Covid19 Info

A visitors's protocol updated on 18th of March by the Government of Nepal is available here.

Can you pick up us from Kathmandu airport?

Yes, we will pick you up from Kathmandu airport. Our representative will will wait for you at the airport arrival lounge. He will stand with you name play card. After meeting with you he will take you to your hotel.

How is public transportation and is it safe for tourists to take public transportation?

Public transportation is mostly over crowded in Nepal. If you really want to get a feel of the pulse of the city, try local transportation like public buses, battery run three wheelers and local rickshaws. every year the quality of public transport is getting better in Nepal. In Kathmandu valley, you can get Online Taxi services (like Uber) such as Patho ( and Tootle ( Yes, it is safe to travel in public transportation in Nepal. But we always recommend to travel in a group. For solo women long distance night buses are not recommended.

What is tea house trekking?

Tea house trek means, every night you end up with a lodge which offers you basic room and simple meals. Almost all the famous trekking routes are tea house treks in Nepal. The good thing about tea house treks is that you don’t need to carry tent or food.

What kind of accommodation do we expect in the trek?

The accommodation while trekking through the Himalaya teahouses are generally comfortable but very basic. The key when it comes to tea houses is to remember where you are: high or low altitude and popular or unpopular trek. In high altitude and unpopular trekking areas tea houses are often very basic. Don’t expect much, just a pillow and bed. You also have to share a bathroom with other people. But in a low altitude of popular trek you can get a room with private bathroom.

Is WiFi available on the trek?

Well established treks such as Annapurna and Everest WiFi is often availablr for trekkers. But do not expect high speed. You can also have mobile data coverage while trekking. But there will be days with no mobile data and other days where the speed is very low and it’s not even worth trying.

Are ATMs or Banks available in the trek?

Only in Namche (Everest region) and Jomsom (Annapurna region) has an ATMs and Banks. Sometimes ATM don't work and they have low withdrawal limits as well. So, It is better to be prepared before the trek in Kathmandu or Pokhara.

How do we respect the local culture?

You can respect local culture by doing the following things.

How can we get a Nepalese SIM card?

Easiest way to get Sim card is at the Kathmandu airport. If you didn't buy sim card at the airport then look for NTC and NCELL logo in the town and ask them if they sell sim card (not all do). You need following details to get sim card

The three Nationwide Mobile network operators are Nepal Telecom (NTC), Ncell and Smart Telecom. Nepal Telecom is the oldest and pioneer telecom operator (owned by Government) in Nepal. NTC and Ncell has similar mobile coverage. If you are going to Everest region then carry Ncell and if you are doing Annapurna then NTC is better. Smart Telecom doesn’t have coverage in the mountain.

Is Nepal safe? Is it safe to travel alone in your country?

In general Nepal is considered a safe country to travel alone. Nepal is regarded as one of the most peaceful countries in the world. While you are travelling alone in our company we will take care for your well being, safety and security. We commit our responsibilities very seriously.

What is Altitude Mountain Sickness?

AMS is the negative health effects of high altitude, caused by rapid exposure to low amount of oxygen to high altitude. Altitude sickness only occur after 3000 mt though some are affected at lower elevation. Headache, vomiting, feeling tired, dizziness, loss of appetite, trouble sleeping are the major symptoms of AMS.

FTA trekking itineraries have been professionally designed to minimize the effects of High altitude sickness. Extensive medical kits are carried on all our trips. All our trekking group leaders / guides are well trained in Wilderness First Aid Course who are competent to diagnosis it and to act accordingly on the very spot.

Do we get AMS after using Diamox?

Generic name of Diamox is Acetazolamide. Using Diamox would give you maximum chance of success on high altitude trek. Diamox accelerates acclimatization. It does not cure anything. So, the best way to reduce AMS is to gain altitude in a natural order.

What are the rules on tipping?

Tipping is an accepted part of trekking, although it is completely personal matter. The amount depends on your budget, groups and appreciation of their work. You can give $5 to $7 for the porter per day and $8 to $10 for the guide per day or Budgeting up to 15% of the trek cost as tipping could be a guideline.

Is tap/river/spring water is safe to drink? Do I need purification tablets?

In Nepal, all the people in the mountain drink tap/spring water. But it is not recommended for the tourists. So the tourists have a choice of bottled water, purification tablets and boiled water. We recommend using water purification tablets.

How much can a porter carry?

Normally we provide 1 porter for every 2 trekkers, but more can be arranged if needed. Weight that porters carry depends on the duration and type of treks.

Tea house trek
Camping trek

Is electricity available on the trek?

There is proper electricity in the lower elevation of Annapurna, Everest and Langtang regions. When we get to higher elevation there are sometimes solar panels. Solar charging facilities are dependant on weather conditions. It is better to prepare and fully charge your back up when there is a chance of proper electricity. Hair dryers, electric shavers and so on are better to leave to at Pokhara or Kathmandu.

What kind of insurance should I get before going to Nepal? Can i get insurance in Nepal?

You need a special travel insurance for trekking in Nepal. Many travel insurance companies do not cover you at over 4000 meter altitude. So please take a close look to your insurance policy and make sure you are covered for adventure activity and over a certain altitude that you are going.

Following are the type of insurance you need in Nepal:

You cannot get a travel insurance in Nepal.

Does your guides and porters have an insurance?

Yes, our guides and porters have an insurance. They have $10,000 accidental insurance. We also closely work with Trekking guide and porter association of Nepal. Head of FTA, Chandra Bahadur bhujel is former executive board member of Guide and porter association, regional chapter Pokhara.

What is the best time of the year to visit nepal?

We say that Nepal is for all season. Though, Spring ( March, April, May) and Autumn (September, October and November) are the famous season to visit Nepal. During this time of the year the sky is clear and the weather is pleasant with efficient sun light and warmth. During monsoon (June, July and August), there is no problem for trekking but there will be lots of rain. But it is amazing to see moving fogs with the white mountain. And in high altitude it is a time many different grass blossoms with flowers. You can trek on Winter. In the high mountains it is cold during winter but still possible to do trekking. If you don’t like crowds and want to find yourself in nature then Monsoon and Winter are the perfect time for you.

Note that due to global warming there has been a change in a regular climate worldwide and Nepal is no exception. Please open to unpredictable weather conditions in any season.

Can I get a visa on arrival?

All foreigners, except Indians, must have a visa in Nepal. All the foreigners get visa on arrival either in Kathmandu airport or at road borders at Nepalganj, Birgunj / Rakxaul Bazar, Kakarbhitta, Mahendranagar, Dhangadi, Sunauli and Rasuwagadhi in the North. You can fill the tourist visa application form online. Here is a link:

Do I have to share a bedroom with strangers?

Yes, you need to sometimes share a room with other people in the high altitude and busy season.

What is the difference between a porter and a guide? Do I need both?

A guide doesn’t just assist you in case of accidents or emergencies but also helps you to understand the local culture, share you a local tale of a god and goddess, Point out the famous mountain and landmark, show you the way, make sure you have a clean bed and good food in every guesthouse. Most importantly, they are there to make your trek successful, keep you safe, and to make sure you have the best possible experience in the trek. Porter are there to carry the bags. Most of them don't even speak English. They are with you to make sure everything you need is where you need it and when you need it. Porters are literally the backbone of the trekking world. Everything you see in the mountains that nature didn't put there – a porter did.

If I have a porter what do I need to carry myself?

You will have small day bag where you will carry your most important personal belongings such as passports, cash, mobile, sunscreen, sunglasses, snacks and camera. You will carry water and raincoat in your day bags. Generally, it will be around 3 to 5 kilos.

Is it possible to trek independently without a guide/porter?

Yes, it is possible to do trek independently (Not all though) but we always recommend group trekking for your safety and security.

How many people will there be on an organised group trek?

From our company there will be 2 - 10 people in a group. But as your requirement we can increase or decrease the number of people. FTA is very very flexible on the number of people.

Can we pay more to hire our own private guide instead of being part of a larger group?

Yes, it is possible to have your own private guide. From FTA, even a solo traveller can take a guide/porter. To hire a guide and porter you doesn’t need to belong to a larger group.

How fit do I need to be? How many hours of trekking will we do in a day?

Every day we walk about 5 to 6 hr.

What can I do to stay healthy on the trek?

Immunization before trekking in Nepal

Nepal is different then the country you belong to. The water, air, temperature, altitude and environment is much different. So, it is always a good decision to immunize yourself before travel to Nepal. It will help you to reduce the risk of getting some of the deadly diseases.

Please consult your doctor and follow their advice.

Drinking water

Water is one of the common cause to get sick in Nepal. Water from tap, river, stream is not good for the tourist to drink. You can buy bottled water in the city but while you go for the trek then you need to fill your bottle directly from the tap. In such situation please add your water purification tablet to make your water clean and drinkable. When you are in a high altitude, you should drink about 5 liters a day.

Try to be vegetarian in the trekking

Vegetarian foods take less time to digest. We don’t have 24/7 running electricity in Nepal. Everyday we still have a power cut.Guesthouse in the lower altitude doesn’t have a backup for the Freezer And up in the himalayas there is no freezer for the meat. So, if you become vegetarian in the trek then that is always better for your health.

Avoid following food in Nepal

The food habit Nepalese follow is different then the foreigners. So, try to avoid following food item while you are in Nepal.

Acute mountain sickness

AMS is the negative health effects of high altitude, caused by rapid exposure to low amount of oxygen to high altitude. You must be very much careful about the symptoms of AMS. Please stop for proper and adequate acclimatization, stay with our guide, follow their instructions and tell them the problem and the changes your body feel.


Air pollution in Kathmandu is pretty much denc. While travelling in Kathmandu city, you can put mask to cover up your mouth and nose. You have to carry a mask if you are going to upper mustang trek. In upper Mustang there is a heavy wind almost every late afternoon and wind brings sand and dust.

Cover Up your body

You must cover up your body according to the climate. When you are high in the mountain, you must cover up with warm clothes and when you are in lower altitude then there is a chance of Malaria and dengue, at this time also use insect repellent. Covering up your body will also help you to adjust to changing weather and it is useful to prevent allergies.

Should I eat vegetarian food in the trek?

Vegetarian foods take less time to digest. We don’t have 24/7 running electricity in Nepal. Everyday we still have a power cut. Guesthouse in the lower altitude doesn’t have a backup for the Freezer And up in the himalayas there is no freezer for the meat. So, if you become vegetarian in the trek then that is always better for your health.

What are the advantages of booking with a Nepali trekking agency like Friendly Trekkers as opposed to an overseas trekking agency?

Overseas companies are simply a bridge, they cannot operate without local company. They need to be affiliated with legally registered Nepali local company.

Do we need our own first aid kit?

No, You don’t need your own first aid kit. FTA will provide first aid kit to its every group. Our guide will carry a first aid kit. If you need some specific medicine to add on First aid, please let us know.

Are walking poles a good idea?

Yes, it is a good idea to have walking poles, at least one. If you don’t like to walk always with poles then you can fold them and carry on your bags. But whenever you need them on your difficulties then you can use. Walking poles will help you :

Should we bring our own snacks?

You can get almost all kinds of snacks (candy, chocolate, energy bar etc.) in Kathmandu and pokhara. You can also get famous chocolate (snicker, mars, bounty, kitkat), biscuits and nuts in the high mountain though they will be a little bit more costly. But if you have some of your favourite brand at home then you can always bring them.

How much water should I drink per day?Do I need to carry all that water every day?

You must drink about five liters of water every day in the high mountain. You don’t need to load yourself with all the water just take one liter bottle. You can fill water along the route. You will cross many tea houses every day where you can refill the water.

Is it possible to get a helicopter evacuation in case of serious injury?

Yes, it is possible to get helicopter evacuation in case of serious injury. FTA team is serious for the responsibilities. We will call your insurance company and do the necessary procedure. We had helped a girl who fell down from the cliff. Please read the feedback here.

Do the guides and tea house owners speak English?

All the guides in FTA will speak English. Our guide will explain the local culture and customs, share their stories and also make a joke. In an established trekking route most of the teahouse owner speak broken English.

Do I need to take Nepalese rupees with me?

Mostly FTA do Package trek. In the package trek cost of food and accommodation, all the necessary entrance fee, transportation, porter and guide fees are included. You can carry little Nepali rupee to buy souvenirs.

Can I trust the trekking gear sold In Kathmandu and Pokhara or should I bring my own?

You can buy branded or non-branded trekking gear in Nepal. Trekking gear, equipment and accessories are available in Nepal, all ranging in size, quality and price. There are plenty of genuine brand outlets in Nepal. Some of them are “Red Fox” “Sonam Gears”, “The North face”, “Columbia”, “Sherpa Adventure Gears” “Mountain hardware”, ‘Kathmandu” and “Black Yak ”. Branded gear have a universal price where non-branded gear are much cheaper. Branded gear are sold only in their own authorized shop.

Do I need to arrange trekking permits?

No, you don’t need. After you book with Friendly Trekkers Adventure, we will do all the necessary work for the TIMS and Permit.

Can you assure me that your guides and porters are taken good care of?

Friendly Trekkers Adventure is a family run business. Most of our guide and porter belongs to the family or good friends from long time. Head of FTA, Chandra Bahadur Bhujel is still doing guiding.All of our guide and Porters have accidental insurance, time to time we provide them a training and they have well paid salary.

Is your company environmentally responsible?

Yes, we are. FTA successfully organized many clean up campaign and awareness programme in association with TAAN Pokhara. On the occasion of World Environmental day 2019, FTA lead a campaign called ‘March against of global climate change’.

What are business hours in Nepal?

10 am to 5 pm is a business hours in Nepal. But FTA team is ready to answer you 24/7.

When is the Monsoon season? What is it like during the monsoon season?

Monsoon season starts from Mid June, peaking in July and mid August, ends in early September. It rains with thunderstorms everyday usually around late afternoon time. Monsoon brings rain and humidity. The rain spreads the pleasantness around with lush green vegetation. monsoon season is ideal for trekking in remote regions like Upper Mustang, Dolpo region and higher passes as they are being in the rain shadow.

How much luggage can I take on a domestic flight?

It is 20 kg free allowance in Nepal’s domestic flight in urban areas such as Kathmandu to Pokhara. But in the remote area (KTM - LUKLA, PKR - JOMSOM) free luggage allowance is 15kg per head. What trekking gear should I bring from Home? We had made a list of trekking gear to trek in Nepal. Please check it there.

What payment methods are available when we pay for the provided services?

Following are the payment methods we accept: